As anyone who knows my kids would likely agree – they love music and to dance, especially my spotlight-loving 8-year-old. And she has some pretty good moves too – moves which both of her sisters attempt to copy, with somewhat mixed (and often amusing) results. But they all have a blast, and I love that dancing gets them up and moving around – it’s such a good way to work off energy and get some exercise, especially when you’re cooped up in the house due to a summer heat wave. So when we had the chance to invite over a few friends to try out and experience the new Fijit Friends from Mattel, my girls were thrilled – um, I mean they were down with that.
Let’s set the stage, shall we… Six girls, ranging in age from ten down to five, decked out in fun accessories – feather boas, snazzy sunglasses, sparkly beads, bracelets and rings, and cute headbands. Add in some rockin’ music with a good dance beat and a sparkly (fake) microphone – and oh yes, they were having the time of their lives. Especially with this new little electronic friend – by the name of Sage:
There are four different Fijit Friends characters: Sage, Willa, Serafina and Logan. And ‘character’ is right – these aren’t just toys, they each have a personality and interact you too. Fijit Friends make small talk and tell awesome jokes – but most of all they get down with dance moves, either to your music source or to their own internally-produced tunes. And wow can the Fijit Friends move – ours tends to get a little overexcited and knock herself over from time to time even.
Your Fijit Friend™:
- Recognizes over 30 keywords and responds with over 150 phrases. That means that when you talk, she listens… and answers!
- Detects the beat of any external music you play and dances to it! When she hears a tune, she identifies the music beat and adjusts her dance timing to match. So it doesn’t matter if you’re a fan of rock, country or even opera, your Fijit Friend™ loves it all and is ready to groove to it with her hilariously fidgety body!
- Also has her own favorite tunes! She contains internal music that she is excited to share with you.
- Has a uniquely soft and squishy body, just made for hugging and tickling! The elastic quality of her skin makes her movements look natural… and fidgety! And, maybe best of all, her colorful face is bright and lights-up when she’s interacting with you.
- Stands 8.6 inches tall and weighs just 1.6 pounds… which makes her the perfect friend to carry and cuddle!
Sage is a huge hit, not only with my girls but with their friends too. It’s fun to see how the different ages interact with her differently – my 5-year-old will have Sage tell her jokes over and over, but for my 8-year-old, it’s all about the music and the moves. They go back and forth between playing their own favorite tunes to dance to with the Fijit Friend and having Sage play her own music for them all to move and groove to. You do need to speak clearly – my youngest’s enunciation isn’t always the best and Sage is very picky so it’s actually teaching my daughter to speak more carefully and enunciate more clearly so that Sage will understand her better. Even our puppy thinks that Sage is hilarious and will bark at her whenever Sage is around.
As if our house isn’t in total girl overload already, we invited a few more over for our Fijit Friends Playdate Premiere Party. They all decked themselves out and danced away… Or at least a few of them danced, a couple swayed in the background, and the undisputed stars of the show were my 8-year-old (Hannah) and one of her best friends, both of whom got down. Take a look for yourself on this video that I shot with the ‘Fijit-ized’ video cam that came with our playdate pack!
Fijit Friends can be purchased from a variety of retailers, including Walmart, Toys-R-Us, Target, Kmart and Amazon.com (affiliate link) – but if you buy from www.ShopMattel.com/fijit, you can get free shipping with the code FIJITBL through August 31, 2011.
I wrote this review while participating in a campaign by Mom Central Consulting on behalf of Mattel Fijit Friends and received coupons and a promotional item to thank me for taking the time to participate.