Here’s the information I’ve come across this week and want to pass along to you!
Note: Many of these are not in my own words, but taken straight from the e-mail or press release that I received. I have re-worded or re-written where I thought it was necessary or helpful, but am not responsible for the content of these items or anything that may be posted on their sites.
Check out the month-long Bubbles and Bubbly Contest powered by Wisk High-Efficiency detergent!. To enter to win, just answer a true or false question that tests your Bubble IQ and no matter if you get it right or wrong you are eligible for a grand prize drawing of a fabulous red HE washer & dryer. And because they know that all HE machines require HE detergent, they’re also giving away one-year supplies of Wisk HE detergent to 5 lucky runners up. Also, each day 5 people will win a free bottle of Wisk HE. You can enter up to once a day for a month for the chance to win, so do come back each day for a new question and another chance to win!
TCBY is giving away a store (seriously!)! TCBY, The Country’s Best Yogurt, is officially collecting entries for This Could Be Yours, The Great TCBY Store Giveaway. Found on TCBY.com, the contest will reward one lucky person with his or her very own TCBY store and is open to all U.S. residents over the age of 21.
To enter, contestants must submit a video, no longer than two minutes, explaining why they should be the recipient of their very own TCBY, why their town is the perfect location, and what they have to offer the brand. Submissions will be judged on creativity, a sense of business acumen, and originality. Video submissions will be accepted until November 30, 2009.
“We’re looking for the country’s best business owners, and are eagerly awaiting the video submissions; we know they are going to be great,” said Steve Willes, Director of Marketing TCBY. “This contest gives us the opportunity to help someone make their professional and personal dreams come true, and we anticipate that he or she will continue the tradition, started in 1981, of serving the country’s best frozen yogurt.”
Following the initial entry round, TCBY will narrow all video submissions down to 25 semi-finalists. The public will then be given the opportunity to help narrow the list down to 10 finalists, who will go through an informal interview process before the winner is chosen.
“Especially now, it’s important for us to champion the entrepreneurial spirit of this country, and invite anyone who’s ever wanted to own a TCBY to submit their video” said Michael Ward, President of TCBY. “With the support of an iconic brand and nearly 30 years of history behind the winner, we’re certain this will be a great success for all involved.”
For more information on This Could Be Yours, The Great TCBY Store Giveaway, and a full list of rules and regulations, please visit www.tcby.com.
The holiday shopping season is almost here, and ShopAtHome.com is collecting your best money saving holiday shopping tips in a $1,000 Facebook giveaway! One grand prize winner will receive $500 for themselves and $100 each for five of their friends.
How to Enter the ShopAtHome Holiday Shopping $1,000 Giveaway:
- You must be a registered member of ShopAtHome to qualify for the giveaway, so if you are not already a member, sign up at ShopAtHome. It’s free!
- Become a fan of ShopAtHome.com on Facebook.
- Post your best money saving holiday shopping tip on the ShopAtHome Facebook Wall by November 4th.
- Let your friends know about the giveaway for their chance to win the Grand Prize or to share the top prize with you!
- You can receive an extra entry if your post on the ShopAtHome Facebook page receives a “like” or “comment.” Only one extra entry per person.
The entry deadline is November 4th. ShopAtHome will select 30 of the best posted tips, and one of those tips will be randomly selected by Friday, Nov. 9 as the Grand Prize Winner. The winner will receive a $500 VISA Gift Card and $500 to give away to 5 of their Facebook friends ($100 VISA Gift Card for each) who also posted a tip. All winners must be a member of ShopAtHome to win, so rally your friends to participate!
My Yoga 2 Go is offering a 15% discount if you purchase the My Yoga 2 Go Practice System online at www.myyoga2go.com. Simply use the promotion code “BLOGYOGA” before October 31, 2009.
The My Yoga 2 Go Practice System is an all-inclusive yoga practice solution for busy yogis of all ages and skill levels. The Practice System features 71 detailed posture cards that provide users with the hands-on guidance of a yoga instructor at a significantly lower cost. It includes a multi-pocket display tote that also functions as a carrying case, allowing users to easily transport and organize their customizable yoga practice.
Users simply select a color-coded sequence based on skill level and desired length of workout, organize the cards by pose number, insert the cards into the clear, multi-pocket display tote, and hang the display tote on a wall hook or doorknob. The Practice System’s clear multi-pocket display tote allows users to easily transport it to a preferred practice location so yogis can practice anywhere, any time. The tote unfolds to display interchangeable posture cards, allowing users to keep routines organized and eliminate distractions while posing and meditating.
My Yoga 2 Go Practice System provides users with the following benefits:
- Detailed posture card instructions provide the hands-on guidance of an experienced yoga instructor at a significantly lower cost
- Individual cards can be rearranged for a customized workout
- Color-coded sequences provide the challenge and versatility of a yoga class
- Clear multi-pocket display tote/carrying case allows users to easily transport the Practice System to a preferred location (home, office, hotel, etc.) so yogis can practice anywhere, any time
- Clear multi-pocket display tote unfolds to display the interchangeable posture cards, allowing users to keep routines organized and eliminate distractions while posing and meditating
Decision making is a never-ending process for parents. In the plethora of information available on the internet, parents are often hungry for one piece of information: data that helps them select a school for their children.
This is where SchooGo fits in. SchooGo is a free online resource that provides information regarding pre-k, elementary, middle and high school across all the states. Parents can find, compare and evaluate public k-12 schools on academic performance, student’s demographics, teacher and student statistics and parent and teacher’s reviews. This information is supplemented with school photos, videos, questions and answers and other qualitative data on schools wherever available. For the private schools and the preschools, parents can find contact details and the basic student statistics such as student enrollment as private and preschools are not required to release test scores.
The website currently features more than 125,000 public, private and charter k-12 schools and 100,000 preschools. On the site, parents can search for schools in a number of different ways including: search by city, state, zip code; search by school name or school district; or search by proximity to an address. Parents can also compare public schools side by side on academic scores, student and teacher statistics and student demographics. The site also features a blog that covers common parenting and schooling concerns and a variety of articles and guidelines on parenting and education listed by topic across all grades.
A greedy king, voiced by actor Richard Kind (Spin City), has stolen the color from the Crystal Kingdom and it’s Dora, Boots and their new friend Allie to the rescue in Nickelodeon’s new hour-long primetime TV special Dora the Explorer: “Dora Saves the Crystal Kingdom,” premiering Sunday, Nov. 1, at 8:00 p.m. (ET/PT). The episode will encore on Nickelodeon on Monday, Nov. 2, at 9 a.m. (ET/PT) and on Nick Jr (formerly named NOGGIN) on Sunday, Nov. 8, at 7 p.m. (ET). In third quarter 2009, Dora the Explorer is the top preschool show on all of commercial television.
In “Dora Saves the Crystal Kingdom,” Dora continues her magical storybook adventure from last fall (“Dora Saves the Snow Princess”), when the magic crystal that the Snow Princess gave her brings to life another character in her storybook – Allie of the Crystal Kingdom. A greedy king has stolen the crystals that give Allie’s kingdom color and Dora and Boots must help Allie locate the crystals and turn the pale gray kingdom back into a colorful wonderland before it’s too late. Along the way, the trio gain help from a British knight, a giant caterpillar and a magician who give Dora three gifts – a shield, butterfly wings and a magic wand – to aid in her journey. Using these presents, Dora attempts to defeat the greedy king and restore color to the kingdom.
Beginning Oct. 26, Nick Jr. Video, Nick Jr.’s broadband video service available on Nickjr.com, will begin streaming a two-minute ‘sneak peek’ and clips from “Dora Saves the Crystal Kingdom” and “Dora Saves the Crystal Kingdom” will be simulcast in full on Nick Mobile.
Nickelodeon’s award-winning website (www.nickjr.com) features an interactive game and activities to complement the premiere of “Dora Saves the Crystal Kingdom.” In the game, kids can help Dora, Boots and Allie recover all the missing crystals by relying on their counting, language and color recognition skills. The site also features recipes, crafts, printables and more.
Dora Saves the Crystal Kingdom is currently available on DVD in stores nationwide. Created by Nickelodeon Home Entertainment and distributed by Paramount Home Entertainment, the DVD includes the title movie plus two additional Dora the Explorer adventures.
Additionally, preschoolers and their caregivers can continue to celebrate the winter season with an all-new feature-length DVD Dora the Explorer: Dora’s Christmas Carol Adventure, available Nov. 3 and the companion CD, Dora’s Christmas, currently available in stores nationwide and on iTunes. In the DVD special, Dora and Swiper explore the past, present and future of Christmas after Swiper lands on Santa’s naughty list and needs to prove he’s learned the true spirit of Christmas. Created by Nickelodeon Home Entertainment and distributed by Paramount Home Entertainment, the DVD contains six minutes of bonus footage and two exclusive music videos. The CD, from Nickelodeon and Sony Music, includes 16 new holiday songs performed by Dora, featuring classic carols with a Latin twist, including “Deck the Halls,” “Jingle Bells,” and “Santa Claus Is Coming Aquí!” The CD also includes bonus songs from Dora’s Christmas Carol Adventure.
“Choo Choo Express” – Mickey, Minnie, Donald, Daisy, Goofy and Pluto are putting together the Clubhouse Choo Choo Train to help Professor Von Drake deliver loads of his special non-melting “Easy Freezy Snow” from Mistletoe Mountain to the Clubhouse so they can play in the snow year-round. Clubhouse pals Clarabelle, her pup Bella, Chip and Dale, and special guests Santa and Mrs. Claus also join in the fun.
This holiday-themed, primetime special episode of “Mickey Mouse Clubhouse” premieres SUNDAY, OCTOBER 25 (7:00–7:30 p.m. ET/PT) on Disney Channel.
The episode features two new original songs, including “Choo Choo Express” by Grammy Award-winning alternative rock band They Might Be Giants, and “Choo Choo Boogie” performed by the Sensational Six themselves.
Playhouse Disney has some great “Family Night” ideas here – http://tv.disney.go.com/playhouse/mickeymouseclubhouse/choochooexpress/familynight/index.html
It includes fun activities (make your couch a choo choo train!), recipes (train “fuel”) and games to prepare your family for a fun night at home!
There’s a new on-line radio station (with hopes to get this in every city in America) that is JUST FOR KIDS!. It’s called www.munchkinradio.com, and their slogans are “Radio Made For Little Ears”, and “Radio For Kids, By Kids”.
While Radio Disney targets 8 years old and up, Munchkin Radio targets children 7 years old and down. Radio Disney’s content isn’t always appropriate for littler kids. Munchkin Radio is fun music, sing-a-longs, music from children’s movie, Halloween Music (during the Halloween Season), educational pieces, brain teasers, kids jokes, and even a section called Munchkin Radio Lullabies for parents who like to put on music for their children to fall asleep at naptime or night time.
Whether you’re re-entering the job force or making a career change, busy Moms and Dads don’t have time to deal with the “black hole” of internet job searching: you submit an application or resume for a position and chances are, you’ll never hear anything about it again. UnitedWeWork.org is a nationwide recruiting program designed to stimulate hiring in America by connecting job seekers and employers without any recruiting fees whatsoever. Any job seeker can join and be hired for free. United We Work is powered by QuietAgent, a next-generation job matching network, and is provided through AllianceQ. Principal partners include 7-Eleven, ADP, Allstate, AT&T, Hewitt, Hyatt Hotels & Resorts, Office Depot, Sears Holdings, and Starbucks.
UnitedWeWork.org is seeking to connect job seekers with employers in a more personalized and humane way that’s free for everyone. The model has been compared to that of the popular dating site eHarmony; instead of listing available jobs and applying to each one, job seekers create one profile which includes their skills, experience, education and desires and the job-matching network connects them with recruiters who are filling appropriate positions. Some of the highlights include:
- Promotions and Giveaways: UnitedWeWork.org is committed to help ease the burden of being unemployed by holding giveaways for necessities like laptops and even groceries. They are issuing several promotional programs for users over the next few months and are currently giving away an Asus Netbook. For more details please visit: http://www.quietagent.com/netbook/.
- Save Time!: UnitedWeWork is committed to sending members real-time status updates for each job seeker; if a recruiter views your resume or needs more information you’ll get an email direct to your inbox. There’s no need to login for updates our pour through tedious job listings. The site does the work for you!
- Need a Change? — It’s perfect for career transitions: Similar to the idea of eHarmony’s matching technology, United We Work utilizes QuietAgent’s smart matching technology, which isn’t just based on job titles or keywords. Intuitive yet complex, the site is perfect for anyone open to a career transition and/or relocation because the job seekers are matched with positions based on compatibility of skills and strengths – not just on past experience in that exact position.
- Privacy: While anonymity is still a critical concern for some job seekers, every user is entirely anonymous until they choose to reveal their identity. Additionally, each user’s profile can be set up to exclude any employers by domain names.
For more information or to join visit www.UnitedWeWork.org.
What are you having for lunch today? Marie Callender’s is stepping out of the freezer case and onto the shelf to bring stay-at-home parents that special taste of a home-cooked meal during a busy day. New Marie Callender’s Home-Style Creations offer time-pressed moms like you an everyday lunchtime option that’s hot, delicious and ready in minutes.
Home-Style Creations capture the homemade flavor Marie Callender’s is famous for in a convenient, microwavable meal that stores easily in a pantry or desk – requiring no refrigeration or freezing. Similar to Healthy Choice Fresh Mixers, Home-Style Creations use patented tray-in-tray steaming technology that creates fresh-tasting flavor by separating ingredients during preparation. Not only are these meals delicious, but they are available in the pasta or soup aisle at grocery stores nationwide for a suggested retail price of only $3.49. Six home-style varieties include:
- Classic Stroganoff
- Creamy Parmesan Chicken
- Garlic Herb Chicken
- Meatball Lasagna
- Sweet Sesame Beef
- Traditional Stuffing & Turkey
Fanlala.com, an interactive social community for teens and tweens, has been launched to give a voice to fans of the hottest young celebrities in a completely safe, secure environment. The site provides up-to-the minute news, feature articles and photos. Personal profiles, blogs and photo albums enable fans to connect to other fans in the community and keep track of their favorite celebrities.
The family-friendly site is a hub for the latest in social networking technologies, inviting the participation of fans through contests, games, polls and discussions. Fans contribute to the community by uploading videos, pictures and content to their favorite celebrity profiles, while the Fanlala.com team monitors and approves all submissions. Fanlala.com fills the void of kid- and teen-driven magazine entertainment programming and provides users with a unique interactive platform with which to engage. Fans have first access to Fanlala TV, which offers the website’s own exclusive video content designed to keep fans in the know. The content features the most popular teen celebrities with one-on-one interviews, behind-the-scenes footage on the sets of their favorite shows and in recording studios, on red carpets and more.
Fans can also challenge their star knowledge with the many quizzes featured on the site. Celebrity buffs have the ability to create their own quizzes about their favorite stars and share with the rest of the community. Users can also log-in to fanlala.com through their Facebook accounts, invite friends to join the celebrity hotspot and add fanlala.com activity to their Facebook newsfeed.
One of the main goals of Fanlala.com is to provide a safely monitored online environment for young fans to join and share in the excitement of entertainment. Today, parents are faced with an increasing number of social networks available to their children even though they lack knowledge about the purpose or content. Fanlala.com makes a continuous effort to ensure the protection of its users and the trust of their parents.
The Water Quality and Health Council is working to promote the role of disinfection in preventing flu this season. Disinfectants are a key ally in the battle against the germs that cause colds, flu, and bacterial infections. H1N1 is a prominent threat this season, making it more important than ever to fight contamination.
Germs are ubiquitous in daily life, and surfaces in public can be a harbor for a wide variety of bacteria and viruses for hours—or even days—greatly increasing the chances of infection. One of the newest resources at www.fluandhealth.org is a just-released survey from the WQHC on beliefs about the cleanliness of public spaces and the personal hygiene habits of people in public spaces. Some of the results are disturbing, to say the least:
- 96% of people have seen others engage in unhygienic behaviors in public places; these behaviors include sneezing or coughing without covering their mouths in crowded places or sneezing or coughing into their hands before touching surfaces like door handles.
- 62% have seen people cough in their hand before shaking hands with someone else.
- 72% have seen others wipe their noses on their sleeves.
- A substantial majority of people don’t believe that the surfaces in public places—schools, restaurants, offices, bars, public transportation, and shopping malls—are regularly disinfected.
After looking at the survey’s results, you’ll want to carry some disinfecting wipes with you everywhere you go!
The American Chemistry Council, in partnership with the WQHC, has produced a video, “The Secret Life of Bleach,” to help educate people on the effectiveness of chlorine disinfectants and how they work to kill germs; it explains in a clear, simple way the science of how the bacteria is broken down. Additionally, the website www.fluandhealth.org features posts by experts in a variety of fields on how to stay healthy—the post “Chlorine Bleach: Helping to Manage the Flu Risk” is a good place to start.
You can also follow them at @fluandhealth for the latest updates from across the web.
Teen and pre-teen girls face peer pressure, cultural stereotypes and difficult choices every day that can have a dramatic impact on their futures. That is why former Ironman triathlete Molly Barker founded Girls on the Run, a non-profit prevention program that prepares girls for a lifetime of self-respect and healthy living. Girls on the Run is a life-changing prevention program that encourages preteen girls to develop self-respect and healthy lifestyles through running. The innovative programming combines training for a 5k event with confidence-boosting lessons that enhance the social, physical and mental health of eight to twelve-year-old girls.
The organization’s objective is to reduce the potential display of at-risk activities among its participants. Recent studies show that 75 percent of middle school principals say bullying or harassment is a serious problem. Viewing a fashion magazine lowers the self-esteem of 80 percent of women, and the average fashion model is thinner that 98 percent of American women.
In May 2009, Girls on the Run launched SoleMates, an adult charity running program where female and male athletes who run marathons, half marathons or other events, raise money for local Girls on the Run councils. SoleMates participants agree to raise a minimum of $262 in conjunction with their event to donate to the Girls on the Run council of their choice. ($262 comes from the 26.2 miles in a marathon.)
SoleMates is nationally presented by Horizon Fitness. Girls on the Run is also a partner charity of the Chicago Marathon and attends other marathon expos throughout the year. SoleMates runners participated in over 112 events in 2008, raising over $325,000.
To learn more or sign up for the SoleMates program, visit www.GirlsontheRunSolemates.org.
Every parent makes tough decisions that affect the entire family, and choosing the right car is no exception. Whether driving to and from after-school activities or planning a road trip, a reliable family car is crucial. But with so many makes and models to choose from, it’s good to have a process to help make a smart and safe purchase that pleases everyone – from the auto enthusiast dad to the little ones in the backseat.
Parents have to consider safety, reliability, handling, economy and a range of personal preferences when choosing a family car. Experts from AutoTrader.com, the ultimate automotive marketplace, offer the following overview on popular family-friendly models, including minivans, sport utility vehicles (SUVs) and sedans:
SUVs – Attractive, roomy, sturdy, powerful and responsive, these vehicles have been a very popular choice in recent years.
- Often sit up higher, an ideal feature for improved all-around visibility.
- Often equipped with four-wheel or all-wheel drive to handle different terrains.
- Typically feature family-friendly bonuses, such as rear-seat DVD players and enough cup holders for the entire family.
- Can be gas guzzlers.
- More prone to rollovers, leading to safety concerns.
- High thresholds may lead to trouble loading items into some SUVs.
Minivans – When they first appeared on the scene and before SUVs took the stage, minivans were the ultimate family vehicle choice – and are making a comeback.
- Less likely than SUVs to roll over in a crash. Built-in crumple zones help to absorb the impact and protect passengers.
- Roomy for passengers and allow a great deal of cargo space.
- Often equipped with automatic sliding doors, which lessens the stress of loading the car while holding a child.
- Low threshold makes it easier to remove car seats and load groceries.
- Generally have a lower resale value than an SUV.
Family Sedans – As gas prices rise, so do the attractiveness and sales of sedans – especially smaller, more gas-friendly ones.
- With a smaller size, family members can be within reach of the driver.
- Include perks like affordability and nimble handling.
- Can offer better gas mileage than most SUVs and minivans.
- Storage space can be more limited.
Other Factors Parents Should Consider when Looking for a Car:
- Size and activity level of a family. Are family members involved in extracurricular activities or sports with equipment that requires more storage space, or will the car primarily be used as a means to get from Point A to Point B? Does the car need to be large enough to fit everyone and everything inside, or will a more economical sedan suffice? These are important factors to think of when looking at different vehicles.
- Safety. Parents should take note of important features with which a family car should come equipped, such as electronic stability control, side airbags, anti-lock braking systems and tire pressure monitoring systems. When you’re looking at specific models, if you choose an SUV for your family car, look for responsive mid-size models with excellent crash test ratings, or consider a crossover, which combines the safety of minivans with the sleek features of a traditional SUV.
- Personal preferences and convenience. Personal preferences such as cargo area size and ease of car seat installation vary for each parent and absolutely important to consider when looking at different cars. Parents may also want to consider factors that make things more convenient when it comes to children, such as dark upholstery (for spills and messes), keyless entry (when you’re juggling kids and other items) and a LATCH system, which makes installing car seats easier and safer.
Visit www.AutoTrader.com to learn more.
That’s it for this week, happy Friday and check back next week for more ‘Deals & Steals’!